Published on June 25th, 2019 | by Craig Silliphant0
Blu ray Review – Dumbo (2019)
Tim Burton’s Dumbo is a retelling of the classic 1941 animated film. We take a look at the new blu ray release and special features.
Some people have been vocal about Disney taking some of its classic properties and updating them to ‘live action’ (which isn’t always the case if there’s no humans in the film — it’s still animation, just a different kind). I don’t harbour any negativity over these remakes; I will judge it on whether they made a good movie or not. A version of the classic 1941 Dumbo story made by Tim Burton certainly sounded interesting.
As most people probably know, Dumbo is about a young elephant, whose oversized ears help him to fly. He helps save a struggling circus, but when the circus has a new direction, Dumbo discovers dark secrets behind the curtain.
Unfortunately, the movie itself was a bit uneven, as is much of Burton’s output at this stage of his career. You can always count on him to make something look really cool, but I find I haven’t really connected with a Burton film in a long time. However, it’s worth a watch and kids can glean some of the magic of the story from this version. The blu ray release is definitely interesting, in that you get to see how someone like Burton brings his signature visuals to life.
Here’s a listing of the bonus materials:
Deleted Scenes – Nine scenes cut from the final release are included.
- Circus Spectacular –Tim Burton and actors Eva Green, Danny DeVito, and Colin Farrell talk about the original film. It looks at some of the animation in both versions.
- The Elephant in the Room – A look at some of the production design and costume, including Edd Osmond, billed as the Dumbo Performer. He wears greenscreen costumes and acts for reference, to show actors and camera where Dumbo is and what he’s doing.
- Built to Amaze –Burton talks about turning a storybook character into a movie.
- Music Video – The Baby Mine – a video from the group Arcade Fire that uses scenes from the movie with kaleidoscopic effects.
- Easter Eggs on Parade –the references in the film that pay homage to the original.
- Clowning Around Bloopers – outtakes from the film.
- Sneak Peeks – Theatrical trailers are shown for the upcoming Disney features Frozen II and The Lion King.